Analysis of Chapters 1-3 The Art of Social Media

Kelsey’s Rules to Social Media:

I personally have a Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, LinkedIn and Tumblr. For all these platforms, I have different personal rules of what I post and who can follow me. For Facebook, anyone can friend me as long as I know them or have friends in common. For posting it is mostly photos for new content or sharing other things. I rarely write posts. For Twitter, it’s mostly friends that follow me. I do not allow family to follow me on Twitter. I do not post a lot mostly retweets. To be honest I have Twitter to follow celebrities. My brother got upset because I would not allow him to follow me but I need social media away from them. On Instagram I have mostly college friends and a few family members. Instagram is my favorite because it is all pictures. On Snapchat I rarely post stories because my sorority is so strict with them. To be completely honest I do send some pictures to certain people that I would never want to get out. For LinkedIn, anyone who requests to follow me I allow. I’ve never posted anything on LinkedIn but my resume is completely updated. Lastly with Tumblr, nobody knows that I have one and I prefer it that way. People wouldn’t even recognize me as the account owner.

Chapter Analysis:

The part that stood out to me the most for these chapters was on page 45 “My theory is that if you’re not pissing people off on social media, you’re not using it right.” While part of me wants to agree with that the other side is saying my family follows me on social media. If I could get away with it without people knowing it is me I would probably post more things. From these chapters, there are many points I agree with and two that raise questions or I disagree with.

The first part I agree with is about having a profile and cover photo. I think that is one of the most important parts of social media and I will not allow anyone to follow me if they do not have those two photos.  One thing I did not know what to go into incognito mode to check your page. I always asked my mom to bring up my Facebook page so I could make sure all RG pictures were blocked for sorority recruitment.  Another part of this section I like was bringing up Stumble Upon. I found Stumble Upon way back in high school and I really liked what it did. I have not been on it in a while but I might go back and check it out.

The two parts I did not agree with where first: the different sites they recommend to post for us. Those can add up. At my internship, the company I worked for had services for them to do that. I agree it was helpful but for personal profiles it does not make any sense. I think the authors could have stated it clearer that the option to pay services to post for you really only makes sense when the things being posted are for profit.

The second part I did not agree with was stick with one picture. It means for all your profiles have the same image. However, as stated above I have my own social media rules and different people are meant to look at different sites. Thus, my images vary. However, you will see most of my pictures cross over from Instagram to Facebook. I like to think people get to see a different side of me when looking at my different profiles. The profiles do overlap because I am the same person but seeing me academically or professionally you get a different side then my Instagram. However, no matter the site I am always careful of what I post. It would be dumb to think future employers would not try to find me on every site. 

Comments

  1. I have the exact same rule for not adding anyone on social media that doesn't have a profile or cover photo. Those are what let me know the account is a real person or not some creep. I also completely agree with your take on not having the same picture for every account. The picture I use for my Tumblr compared to my LinkedIn is completely different! I think that the profile picture you have for each account shows how you want others to view you in that social media setting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts