Best & Worst Parts of Social Media Platforms

For this special blog I created a podcast to discuss the good, bad, and my favorite parts of social media. I focused on five sites: Myspace, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat. Below is some key points of the podcast.

Myspace

I’m using information from Mashable.com to discuss its attributes. What was unique about Myspace is people could recode their own pages. The downfall of Myspace is credited to the spam and possible viruses your computer got from being on the site. Like many early sharing sites, it was easy to contract them. . I will give credit to Myspace for being a Martyr and dying so we could have many other social media sites. 


I consider myself an expert when using the following sites because I have active accounts on all of them.

Facebook

Facebook was my first social media site which I created in 2014. One of the best parts of this site is if you do not want to get rid of the old memories it still helps your image especially when applying for jobs to hide those things. One of the best things is you don’t delete them so you still can see them but others cannot. A downsides of Facebook is it is so well known that it is used heavily for ads. 

Twitter

The best thing about Twitter is it started hashtags to know what is trending. Being able to see what thousands of people are talking about is a great way to keep up with current events usually as they happen. A bonus is the tweets tend to be funny. A bad thing about Twitter is the character limit. According to V3 it is one of the most complained about things for the site. How is a person supposed to get everything they want to say out in 140 characters or less? 

Instagram

Instagram is my number one favorite site because it is all pictures. The best part about Instagram in my opinion is the search/random option. It shows you images based on what you like, the accounts you follow, and anything that is trending. The worst part about Instagram in my opinion is the posts are no longer chronological on your feed. You are showed what is most important. It also is the place of all food pictures and hipsters according to the Verge.com.

Snapchat

The worst thing about Snapchat and this is something that bothers me daily is you cannot look back on what you sent. So, if someone is a slow replier or busy you can easily forget what you sent them and have no idea what they are talking about. One of the best things is that it goes away. Not permanently. Remember nothing completely goes away on the internet. My favorite part is the emoji to see who you snap the most. I currently have a 62-day streak with my best friend back home. 

My best piece of advice for any social media site is continue to update it and delete what is no longer relevant. Check out the full podcast here: PodBean Podcast or search for kelseytrau.

Comments

  1. I completely agree that Instagram is my favorite and I also really love the search/random option! Whenever I'm bored I sometimes scroll through it for hours. I had not realized that Instagram is showing posts by popularity now and I think that's a little annoying because I want to see what everyone posts, when they post it, not what's trending.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts