Chapter 0

The next book we are discussing in my Principles of Social Media class is Social Media Marketing Workbook 2017. From reading the introduction there are some parts I am looking forward to and some concerns I have. To begin with it is best to understand that this book is meant for business owners, or those operating a business’s social media. Another market segment that this book seems to be for is those that do not know a lot about social media. I understand that not everyone has run an account from a business side, but it is highly unlikely to meet someone operating a business that does not even have a personal social media account.

The biggest thing I am looking forward to is learning is how to use Yelp. I understand that it is for reviewing companies, but I did not consider it to be social media. I also do not have experience with Yelp. I have never used it from a business or customer side. Two parts I thought were funny in the introduction was when they said “…when you don’t understand the difference between a hashtag or a retweet” (5). I find this funny because I have had to explain a hashtag to my grandma before. Not only did I learn it was hard to describe, but is something you learn by using. The other part I liked was when they compared social media to a party. For personal accounts, you are the guests, but from a company side you are throwing the party. This makes it so you must throw an attractive party that prospective customers will find engaging and useful.

I think this book will be helpful for myself because I will be entering the marketing career field after graduation. It is my hope that I will be doing something with social media. Whether it be the companies account or someone who is using my company to promote their social media. I believe Social Media Marketing Workbook will be easy to read because the author has a sense of humor. On page 12 the author does a funny rant about having to prove you purchased the book to receive the rebate. It ends with him stating “If you don’t have a child, cat, or goldfish, you may be required to prove telepathically that you bought the book” (12). If his humor is throughout the book I will enjoy it.


There were two resources I found helpful in this chapter. It described how to access a PDF copy of this book with clickable links to get more in-depth information. Something else I found useful from the author is they offered a quick survey to the first 100 people to access it. From that you either got a free copy of the book or a rebate through Amazon. 

Comments

Popular Posts