Tips and Tricks to Make it to Senior Year

Looking back on the last four years at Ohio Northern University I realize how much I have grown as an individual and team player. I was not a happy freshman. In fact, I was so unhappy I had been accepted to another university to transfer to. I’m not even sure what my problem was with Ohio Northern or why I did not leave. I chose to come to Ohio Northern to make my parents happy. I was not ready to move on from high school because I had it all figured out. My dad is an alumni of ONU and I figured at least someone would be happy. Looking back to freshman year there were a few things that I noticed that were wrong.
  1. I was not involved properly. The only thing I joined my freshman year was a sorority. Which was a great starting place but my Sophomore year I got properly involved. Joining a club for my major and an includes all of campus group. Getting involved makes friends and gives you a reason to stay on campus during the weekends. I got involved with summer orientation as well and my biggest tip was to join an organization for your major.
  2. You do not need to party to have friends. I only went out once my freshman year. Unfortunately, this is where my family did not support me. There were many times where I was looked down upon for not going out and drinking when in truth I did not feel comfortable enough to go out and do that. If you’d rather sleep or watch a movie great do that instead. You know your own comfort level.
  3. Make friends with who you live with. My roommate and I got along but we lived very separate lives. The other thing is I did not feel comfortable telling her when I had a problem with her actions. For example, she only did laundry over spring break… for the entire year.
  4. Homework is important. I was never a good student in high school. Which must shock professors here because they all think we were the valedictorians of our high schools. Fun fact: I received at least five D’s in high school. I changed in college and the lowest grades I have ever received were three C’s (all math related).
  5. Be proud to be a polar bear. For some reason, I was embarrassed about Ohio Northern to my friends back home because it was not a big state school. I learned that I have more fun because I know the students and professors here.
  6. Trust your judgement. The friends you make freshman year may not last. If they are not good for your academic standing or life in general, ditch them and make new friends. If you cannot ditch them completely due to too many similarities, keep them at arm’s length and do not stoop to their level. 

College is the time for you. It is confusing and difficult but you will make it to senior year and graduation will be days away and you will be wishing you had a few extra months to enjoy it. Next year you will be the upperclassmen. Get the freshman to be involved. Join clubs make friends. As a senior I hang out with a lot of freshman. They are always at my house and contrary to popular belief age and grade do not matter when being friends. 

Comments

  1. This is great advice! I had a really rough first semester because I wasn't putting myself out there. I also had thought about transferring. This semester, I got involved in two more organizations and I have been so much happier to be here! It really is what you make of it! I'm glad you decided to stay and that I have got the chance to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO TRUE! As a senior also I am uninvolved. I partially blame that on me commuting to campus and not going away for school. I completely loathe college and I believe if I had gotten more involved as a freshman I would have enjoyed college more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts