Tips for Starting Instagram

Starting an Instagram account? Here are some tips. This last week I started an account for the American Marketing Association for Ohio Northern University. This is something that I have wanted to do for a few semesters and as president I decided to go ahead and make it.
  •  Make sure more than just you have access to the account. I shared it with our social media chair and the person in charge of posting while at our annual conference. I also saved all login information in our google doc that the executive board has access to. This was something I learned from another organization I was in. We had to create a second Instagram page because they lost the login information.
  • Get people to follow you. To start follow people that could benefit from this account. I followed all members of AMA on our campus plus any marketing majors. After that I searched for other school’s AMA Instagram accounts to follow. My last plan to get followers is while at our annual conference within the next few weeks. We are hoping to have a board with all our social media accounts listed (Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat).
  • Have a plan to post. When starting an account, it is good to outline what to post. For personal accounts, you can post whenever you want. For an organization starting off I have planned a week of posts that will be followed by weekly updates. For the first week, I will be introducing the students attending the conference in New Orleans. I had them fill out information to post below it. Along with a few funny posts. After that the posts will be about the trip. That will last until we have the new executive board figured out. After that the posts will be at their digression but I will recommend them post about the new board members.
  • Keep up with it. The account would not be successful if we only used it during the conference. As stated above the posts will continue but not as regularly. Since we are on a college campus it is easy to post not only marketing news but anything pertaining to Ohio Northern.


We are very behind on the trend for social media. Since this site has been out for a few years I am hoping everyone understands how to use it and we can use it for our advantage. Being able to post pictures is easier than original content. My goal is looking back in the next few years the account is still active and the followers are engaging with it.

Feel free to follow us at onu_ama and our Snapchat account is also ONUAMA.


Comments

Popular Posts